Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review - Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Drink, Slay, LoveTitle: Drink, Slay, Love
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Series: Not Sure
Pages: 385
Published: September 13th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry 
ISBN: 9781442423732
Source: GalleyGrab







Description: Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.  Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees. The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do? 

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

I admit, this book really wasn't on my radar.  I'm kind of over the whole vampire in young adult books.  But, it showed up in my Galley Grab newsletter and I thought I would give it a shot.

For all it's worth, this book is cliche vampires.  But, I think it's suppose to be that way.  It often feels like it's poking fun and the whole genre (maybe I read it wrong).  Everything you've ever heard about vampires is in this one.  I wish we would have gotten to know Pearl as the bad a** vampires a little better.  I like her, but her transformation doesn't feel all that drastic.  I also really enjoyed her family dynamics.  It seems really brutal and definitely not one that I would want to exist in.    They are really hard on Pearl.

I actually really liked the idea of a unicorn stabbing a vampire and causing the vampire to regain some of their human characteristics.  It was interesting watching Pearl struggle with what her vampire side and her new humanish side.  I especially liked watching her make friends.  

So why only a 3?  The story felt campy sometimes.  I think it's because of my thoughts that it's poking fun at the genre.  But, sometimes the story just got a little bit to cheesy for me.  It also gave the impression that it might have a sequel.  And I don't think I would read another one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails