Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Review: Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)Title: Touch of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: 1st in Mythos Academy
Pages: 350
Published: July 26, 2011 by Kensington Publishing
ISBN: 9780758266927
Source: Publisher for Teen Book Scene Tour








Description: My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.  But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

I Give This ...
   Photobucket

I admit, I haven't read Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series (I have the first one and will get to it).  I've heard great things though.  So, I was excited to think what she might do with the young adult paranormal genre.  Especially when I saw that it involved mythical warriors in present day.  Sign me up!

I was really sucked in by the way this book started.  The quite girl taking on the mean popular girl in the bathroom.  Sounds like fun.  Especially when we learn the Daphne is a Valkyrie, not exactly someone you want to mess with.  Turns out Gwen knows something about Daphne that no one else knows.  And she learned this buy touching an charm that feel off a necklace that Daphne stole.  I instantly wanted to know more about Gwen and this magic that she possessed.  I totally understand the downfall to touch magic (instantly getting images for objects people have a connections), but it really intrigues me.  

Turns out Gwen is special.  She's been sent to this academy full of warriors for a reason she doesn't understand yet.    And when she finds Jasmine's body in the library, she unleashes a chain of events that will change her life forever.  I admired her determination to find out what really happened to Jasmine when it seemed like nobody else cared.  Plus, if she makes a few friends and attracts the attention of Logan Quinn along the way, what the harm.  Of course, there seems to be someone (or something) that doesn't want the truth discovered!

I really loved Gwen for the most part.  She seems sweet and not completely confident with what she can do.  The only thing that drove me nuts was the constant reference to how unpopular she was and how she didn't have any friends.  Hard to make friends when you put your head down and ignore everyone around you.  I was happy to see her make a connection.  While Daphne was initially the mean girl, I totally loved her in the end.  She's just what Gwen needs!  And Logan....I love those paranormal guys that make you wish you would run across one in real life.  Totally hot that he can take any weapon and know just how to use it to kill someone.  He's just the protector that Gwen needs!  


 So, yes I will be reading the next one.  Great new paranormal series in the works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails