Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

While, I can not exactly say the I grew up on Harry Potter, in a way I did.   I was 21 when I was first introduced to the series.  One of my roommates was studying to be a teacher, and Harry Potter was a topic covered in her classes.  She of course loved the books.  I had never heard of them.  Never the less, she dragged another roommate and I to see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the theater.  

I admit, I was hooked from that moment on.  I asked for the first 4 books for Christmas, which I devoured over my break.  I took them to college with me and read them again.  I waited patiently for book 5 to come out, the first time I ever pre-ordered a book.  I devoured it the day it came out.  I did the same with book 6 and 7 (I never did one of those midnight release parties).  I've read the books more times that I can remember.   I've seen every movie opening weekend and usually more than once.  

I admire the world J.K. Rowling has created. She saw a visions and saw it through until the end.  While there may be discrepancies, for the most part the story is complete and ever loose end neatly tied together.  I was sad when the books were over and now the movies come to a close as well.

 This was my first midnight premiere (alright 12:30), but I've been wanting to go to one for awhile.  My husband finally agreed since they were coming to end.

Was it worth it?  Yes!  While, I'm dead tired today, I'm so glad I went.  I might not be later, but we will see.


I completely enjoyed the movie.  I think this one follows the script the most.  There's lines that are right out of the book.  I thought it looked great visually.  It moved at a nice pace with some key down moments in all the intense actions.  In just a dark part of the entire series, there was quite a bit of humor.  I loved the battle of Hogwarts.  It's gives something I think the book was lacking.  I think one of my favorites is the roll Pro. McGonagall takes during all of this.  She's always been one of my favorites characters and in this movie, she really shines.  And I'm sure you won't see a review without some mention of Neville.  While, I liked his part in the book, in the movie he was fantastic.   Who knew? 

So, overall I would probably give it a B+ maybe an A-.   There were a few key parts that I felt could have been played up a bit more than they wear.   First, for as much as they played up the Grigotts break-in, it felt short and not nearly as dramatic.  Second, I loved seeing Snape on screen.  It was the one the things I was looking forward to most.  But, I felt like they left out some key scenes.  I didn't feel like it adequately showed    the depth of his devotions.

*SPOILERS*SPOILERS*HIGHLIGHT TO READ*

I felt the final battle was was extremely anticlimactic.  I didn't like that Harry and Voldemort battle each other alone.  No one witnesses his final downfall.  I also didn't like that Harry didn't fully explain to Voldemort who was the master of the wand.  I thought it was a key point they missed.  I also didn't like the last little bit when Harry broke the elder wand.  I wanted the whole scene in the headmaster's office.  I was expecting it.  It's always a part I cry during.  And while yes, Harry talks to Dumbledore right after his death, I think the office scene is important as well.

The epilogue was ok.  I knew it was going to be there and I had a feeling for the stories I've read that it probably was going to be a little odd.  I was right.  But, I didn't really care.  I think I would have disliked it more if they left it out just because they couldn't get it just right.

1 comment:

  1. No idea why they decided to just break the wand, but oh well, I guess that's just a minor detail. I am just super happy they got Snape's story down sooo well. Loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails