Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: Shift (Shade #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shift (Shade, #2)Title: Shift
Author: Jeri Smith-Ready
Series: 2nd in Shade series
Pages: 367
Published: Available now from Simon Pulse
ISBN: 9781416994084
Source: Simon and Schuster Galley Grab







Description: Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to. Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift. As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

I was eager to read this book after finally reading Shade.  This did not disappoint me at all.  It's an excellent 2nd book in the series (something I don't get to say very often).

I was not surprised by the events that happen immediately after Logan reappears in Aura's life.  As much as she would like to be fully over Logan, his death, and the events afterwards, she isn't.  But, I was happy to see her realize that a life with Logan as a ghost really isn't a life.  It's more like a constant reminder of what should have been.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to get over someone who gone but not really gone.  At the same time I really admired her for her determination to do all she could to help Logan fully move on.  I think it was a way to help herself move forward and to maybe get a better grasp of what really happened with the Shift.  I think she was also really wanting to help Shades/ghosts get the proper treatment they deserved from those who can't see them.

I was a little surprised at both Logan and Zachary's actions for part of this book.  Logan seems to be stuck in the way he was when he died, almost like he's never gone to be capable of learning from his mistakes.  Sometimes, he entirely too selfish.  He says the he came back for Aura, but I think that's connected to his own reasoning.  I also felt that Zachary was a little hard on Aura.  I know he's been patient with her and letting her move on at her own pace.  I expected more from him though.  I also thought he was a typical a**hole during the whole prom scene and the weeks afterwards.  I did forgive him a little when he divulged his own reasoning for not wanting to compete with Logan.  And he completely redeemed himself in the end.  

I enjoyed the chain of events outside of the relationship drama.  I liked learning about the personal connections and events that happened that winter solstice so long ago.  I feel like things are finally coming to light even if they don't make complete sense at this point.  I'm curious as to how it all plays out in the end.  Way to long to wait for the final book in this series!

*There was one little tidbit with dates that really bugged me.  I'm sure no one else noticed and wondering if it was fixed in the final copy.  I only noticed because my daughter was born on the winter solstice.  The dates don't work for Aura to be conceived on the spring solstice and born prematurely on the winter solstice. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails