Friday, June 17, 2011

Review: Blood Red Road (Dustlands #1) by Moira Young

Blood Red Road (Dustlands, #1)Title: Blood Red Road
Author: Moira Young
Series: 1st in Dustlands series
Pages: 459
Published: Available now from Margaret K. McElderry
ISBN: 9781442429987
Source: Galley Grab program
 






Description: Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization. Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. 

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

This was one of those books that at first glance, I really had no interest in reading.  I like dystopian young adult, but there's definitely a lot out there right now.  I've been lucky that I haven't read anything to I haven't really disliked.  But, I wasn't really ready to chance it.  Then the reviews started to trickle in and I admit, I was intrigued.  I saw in my newsletter and decided to give it a shot.

The beginning didn't start out well for me.  I wasn't really sure of Saba's character and the first couple chapters are really dramatic.  But, I have to hand it to the author, it's a really good way to suck a reader in.  Saba's character is really hard to like.  She bound and determined to do everything alone.  She's down right awful to her young sister and it often seems like nothing else matters besides rescuing Lugh.  Even if it means Saba will do really stupid things to get there. Plus, it often feels like she blames everybody else for her current position in life.    But her sheer determination and personal strength really drive her forward.  She never gives up, even when you think she's lost.  I really admired that aspect of her character.  With all she goes through, it's no wonder that she begins to grow on you.  And gradually she softens around the edges.  I was happy to see her realize that there might be others out there that can matter to who as much as Lugh.

I really enjoyed the secondary characters.  Emmi, Saba's little sister was fantastic.  Her devotion to her brother shows in how much she puts with Saba's behavior to her.  She's willing to go through just as much as Saba.  Her character has amazing spirit for someone so young.  I enjoyed Jack just as much.  The romance felt a little forced at first.  But, in the end I really felt there connection.  I also loved the Free Hawks.   It was great that there was a group defying the king and his cronies.

The action throughout the book was intense.  From the beginning stages when Emmie and Saba set out to follow Lugh, we know that it's not going to be an easy journey.  It's a blood bath that Saba must fight for her life and Emmie's on several occasions.  With the events so intertwined with the king's own beliefs and control over the people, it's no wonder that Saba must go to such lengths to get Lugh back.

I did wonder at the ending a little bit.  It didn't feel just right for the story for some reason.  I completely expected there to be more carry over into the next in the series.  Although I will read the next one,  I honestly wonder were it will go.


 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I LOVED this book! I had so much fun reading it, although I do admit that I was completely appalled by the way Saba treated Emmi. She's horrid! But that was also one of the largest parts of her character growth and I loved watching that come together! I'm super excited for the sequel! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails