Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Review: The Magnolia League (The Magnolia League #1) by Katie Crouch

The Magnolia League (Magnolia League, #1)Title: The Magnolia League
Author: Katie Crouch
Series: 1st in series
Pages: 368
Published: Available now from Poppy
ISBN: 9780316078498
Source: Publisher via Netgalley







Description: After the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price? As in her popular adult novels, Crouch's poignant and humorous voice shines in this seductively atmospheric story about girls growing up in a magical Southern city.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I knew when I started this book that it's rating were on the lower side, but I was darn to this book.  I'm so glad I wasn't influenced because it will truly a wonderful read for me.

I LOVED Alex.  Her character is unlike anything I've read in awhile.  She's sarcastic, rough around the edges, and says what's on her mind.   I enjoyed the fact that she has the gusto to say some of the things she does to her very southern grandmother.  While everyone else sees her previous lifestyle as unconventional, I think she's better prepared to deal with the real world that most teens.  She's practical for the most part and doesn't believe the stories told about the Magnolia League because it's so far fetched.  I also liked that she was hellbent on trying to stay out of the league even though it promised her what she was secretly wishing for.

The league itself was interesting.  It's ties with the Buzzard family are intricately woven.  It makes me wonder who depends on the other more.  The Buzzards have the power and knowledge while the family of the league have all the money.  The older generations are dependent on each other, but at what cost?  I thought the deal they made was interesting and explained a lot about Alex's mother.  

I was sad to see Alex give in to what the league could give her.  I imagine having the ability to change what you don't like about yourself would tempt anybody.  I don't think it changed much of her character though.  I'll be curious as to the fight she puts up in the coming books.  As the saying goes ... the gloves are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails