Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review: Two Moon Princess (Two Moon Princess #1) by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

Two Moon PrincessTitle: Two Moon Princess
Author: Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban
Series: 1st in series, but works as stand alone
Pages: 324
Published: Available now from Tanglewood Press
ISBN: 9781933718279
Source: Arranged Tour






Description: In this coming-of-age story set in a medieval kingdom, Andrea is a headstrong princess longing to be a knight who finds her way to modern-day California. But her accidental return to her family's kingdom and a disastrous romance brings war, along with her discovery of some dark family secrets. Readers will love this mix of traditional fantasy elements with unique twists and will identify with Andrea and her difficult choices between duty and desire.

I Give This ...
Photobucket 

This is a hard book to review.  It was an easy read, but there are elements of the story that didn't flow well, and the characters can be hard to like.   But, I enjoyed the premise, and thus found the entire story enjoyable.

Andrea was hard-headed and extremely stubborn.  For the most part this benefited who she was and what she wanted to do.  She's not the princess we usually see in fairy tales.  She has no desire to learn to be a lady and would be considered a tomboy (and that's putting it mildly).  But there were times I really wanted to yell at her.  She has a habit of thinking something was a great idea and going with it.  She doesn't bother to think about the consequences and how her actions might effect others.  I think so many things could have been avoided if she would just stop and ask herself a couple questions before proceeding.  But then we wouldn't have much of a story.

The supporting cast of characters was a mix.  John was an interesting character when he was in California.  Stick him in Andrea's world and all of a sudden he became the guy I wished would disappear.  He thought it was all a game and so he never realized what was at stake.  Andrea's father...I disliked immensely.   He was just as stubborn as Andrea and wanted such a different life for her.   Not to mention that he was such a man in so many ways.  I loved Don Julian and his brother Alfonso.  They both brought a lot of life to the story.  I had a feeling there was something more to Don Julian and was glad to discover in the end that I was right.

I actually didn't care much for that part were Andrea is in California.  I didn't find in believable that she managed to fit in there so easily and in so little time.  I don't think a princess who leaves in a mid-evil like era could come to modern California, fit in, learn English, etc all in a few months time.  But, it was necessary to the story.  She learns about who her ancestors could have been (they are suppose to have crossed over from our world centuries ago).   

An interesting story overall.  I just saw that this is labeled an book 1, so I'm curious as to were the story goes from here.  There are possibilities, just not sure how interested I am in reading it.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I think I'll request this one on net galley. The cover is pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails