Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review: Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane #1) by Jaye Wells

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1)Title: Red-Headed Stepchild
Author: Jaye Wells
Series: 1st in Sabina Kane
Pages: 325
Published: Available now from Orbit
ISBN: 9780316037761
Source: Personal Copy







Description: In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina Kane has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. But, her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races and Sabina must scramble to figure out which side she's on. She's never brought her work home with her---until now. This time, it's personal.

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

I find it easier to pick out my books at the beginning of the week.  That way I don't find myself staring at the shelves wondering what to read next.  For the most part it works out.  When I realized I would be reading two vampire books back to back, I was a little hesitant.  It's not that I don't like vampires, but they're the "it" thing right now and I try to space them out.  Turns out my worries were for nothing, because Red-Headed Stepchild was great!

I've discovered that adult paranormal can be a hard genre to write.  You have to have the right lead character, a little romance, and the paranormal world without it all being overwhelming.   I found this one to fill out all those categories nicely.  I was a little afraid of Sabina at first.  I thought she might just be a cold-hearted assassin.  She had way more depth than that, and I found that I actually really enjoyed her character.   


I was also really impressed with the paranormal world that the author has created.  It's very well balanced.  I enjoyed learning about the different groups that have a place in this world.  The each have something unique to offer the story.  I also really loved Sabina's place in this world.  It was a really interesting mix.


I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this series.  I'm glad that I have the second already sitting in my to read pile just waiting for me to get to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails