Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review: The Human Obsession (Manufactured Identity, #3) by Heath Sommer

The Human Obsession (Manufactured Identity, Book #3)Title: The Human Obsession
Author: Heath Sommer
Series: 3rd in Manufactured Identity
Pages: 316
Published: Available now from Tate Publishing
ISBN: 9781616637606
Source: Author sent for honest review






Description: A year before retirement, Chief of Police Frank Murphy wants nothing more than to spend his golden years on HGTV marathons and endless tee-off times. What he gets is a string of abductions that makes Ted Bundy look like an amateur. The Human Obsession is the sequel to Heath Sommer's 2009 breakout psychological thriller The Manufactured Identity, where Murphy and hapless lovers Addy and John Joe scramble against inhuman odds and unpredictable twists to solve the riddles of murder, obsession, and human weakness. Focusing on the trial of Cameron Bo, alleged murderer and loony from Sommer's The Grand Delusion, The Human Obsession takes readers even deeper into the minds of Sommers' beloved and twisted characters. In the end, no one could have seen why those meant to protect and serve may be in the greatest danger of all.

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

What really amazed me about this series after reading this one is the fact the books are entirely different from each other.  The contain a few of the same characters, but each one has a different feel.  They also have each provoked different emotions.   

I wasn't expecting The Human Obsession to be so dark and gritty.  But, the author decided to take us farther into the mind of someone willing to commit acts that most humans can't even begin to imagine.  It was actually really hard for me to read at times because it effected me personally.  I have 2 little girls ages 5 and 3, which also fit the profiles of some of the victims in the story.  It's one of those things that we don't want to ever think about, but happens way more than we care to admit.

I felt sorry for Murphy.  He's gone through so much.  Not only does he finally have to go through the trial of Cameron Bo, but also deals with a dieing son.  On top of that, the murders begin and an outrages community wants a suspect.  It's amazing he doesn't completely crack.  I did find his changing views on what makes a person "crazy", to be really interesting.

Once again, I find that heavy psychology in this story to be fascinating.  I liked the trial portions that dealt with Cameron Bo and whether he really knew what he was doing or not.  I also liked being in the mind of the killer, no matter how hard it was for me to read.

I'm kind of hoping there might be a 4th book.  While I feel the story is done, I was left wondering about a couple of things.  First the boy found in the forest doesn't get the ending I though he deserved.  I wanted to know what happened after that, not to mention John Joe's involvement.  I also wanted to know more about the killer.  We've learned so much about all the other characters, I felt a little cheated when it came to him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails