Wednesday, February 9, 2011

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1) by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)Title: First Grave on the Right
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: 1st in Charley Davidson
Pages: 320
Published: Available now from St. Martins
ISBN: 9780312662752
Source: PTA Review Rewards









Description: Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. 

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

You know, I really like adult paranormal novels.  I should read more of them.  I'm extremely pleased I got the chance to review this debute book.  It was lots of fun and I think will become a new favorite series for lots of those who enjoy the genre.


I absolutely loved Charley.  She's so sassy and sarcastic.  It's not really a trait that I want, but sometimes wish I didn't bite my tongue as much.  So, I really love a character that holds nothing back.  I loved the fact that she's the grim reaper and dead people are attracted to her like moths to a light.  I also enjoyed that fact that her family accepts this as fact and use it to their advantage (note the difference...they do not really take advantage).  I also really enjoyed how casually Charley views it all.  It's such a part of her life than it all comes across as normal through the story.


I LOVED the humor in the book.  There are so many little things going on that can make you chuckle.  My favorites were the sign on the bathroom door Charley leaves for any ghosts (but particularly the one that lives down the hall), Mr. Wong in the corner, Aunt Lily, and the "hell spawn" child in the back of a police car.  There are just two many moments and lines that had me going.


I also really enjoyed the sexual tension throughout the book.  Charley has some dreams that can really suck you in.  I liked how that relationship builds up throughout the novel and who it really is.  I also liked her relationship with Garrett.  It's not as upfront as the other relationship, but you can tell that it's building.  I think it will make for some interesting scenes in future books.


This was really close to a 5 butterfly for me.  Something that might have been different if the editing is a little different in a finished copy.  There were times, I had to to make sure I understood what was going on.  The story would change locations abruptly, which would throw me.  I also had to make sure that I realized Charley was chatting with people other's couldn't see.  So really she would be holding two conversations at once, which was hard to follow.  


Overall, just a fun read!  I will be reading the sequel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails