Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)Title: My Soul To Take
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: 1st in Soul Screamers
Pages: 279
Published: Available now from Harlequin
ISBN: 9780373210039
Source: Personal Copy








Description: She doesn't see dead people, but she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.  Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

I Give This ...
  Photobucket
 
This is another one of the series I've been meaning to read for awhile (along with The Prey series).  I happy to finally get to it!


I was intrigued by Kalyee in lots of different ways.  Her background is different that a lot of characters.  Her mother is dead and her father had left her in the care of her aunt and uncle.  I could imagine that it would be hard to find a sense of self with just that, but add in the fact that she can sense when someone near her is going to die and I would think life could get a little out of control.  Despite all that, she has a level head and a sense of humor that I enjoyed.  I also liked Nash, especially after we learn what he is.  I think it will be good for Kaylee to have someone like that in her life.

I felt sorry for Kaylee in the beginning.  She didn't fully understand what she could do and what it meant.  When her classmates start to die, she had to be terrified.  When she learns more about the world she didn't know existed, she dives right in and tries to figure out what is really going on.  I liked the inclusion of the reapers.  It was an interesting story.  I'm hoping we see more of Tod (the main reaper in the story) in future books. 

This book contains a lot of information setting up the series.  We learn about the reapers, the banshees, their male counterparts, and things like borrowed time.  I was surprised that the book never felt bogged down like some paranormal stories can.  I'm glad I have the next one all ready, just waiting to be read!

3 comments:

  1. I've got this one sitting on my shelf and really need to read it. Sounds like it is going to be a great book and I'm glad to hear you liked it! :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting! I think the covers are pretty, but hadn't really heard much about the books themselves. I'll watch for your reviews on the other books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first 2 downloaded on my kindle, I must get to them.

    It is good to know it is good enough to go directly on to the next.

    It is a little out of my norm but I am going to try.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails