Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clarity (Clarity #1) by Kim Harrington

ClarityTitle: Clarity
Author: Kim Harrington
Series: 1st in planned series
Pages: 256
Published: Available March 1, 2011 by Scholastic
ISBN: 9780545230506
Source: Book It Forward Tours







Description: When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth? This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats. Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift. And a curse. When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

I really had no expectations going into this book.  The cover intrigued me and the description sounded like it might have something new to offer.  I was so glad to get a chance to review it for Book It Forward Tours.

I really enjoyed Clare's fresh voice.  She's only 16, but I seriously had to remind myself of that constantly.  It's not that she acted older than she is, because there's is definitely some teenage moments.  It's all about her attitude and her sense of self.  She's had to deal with everyone else thinking her family are freaks.  It's made her a stronger person and it shows.  I love her witty comebacks.  Her family may be strange, but I actually really loved how each of them has their own talent.  It made each of their personalities unique and how they functioned together as a whole really interesting.

I also really enjoyed the who done it mystery.  It was really well played out.  I liked how the official investigation was different than the one going on behind the scenes.  It had that Nancy Drew mystery feel with the teenagers being the ones to figure it out.  Add in the paranormal elements, and it was just a lot of fun.  I had no idea who the real killer was until the end, so that's always a plus!  

My only problem (and it's such a tiny complaint)... I wish it was longer!  I didn't want it to end.  So, fantastic and fun debut for Kim Harrington.  I can't wait to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails