Friday, December 10, 2010

Steel by Carrie Vaughn

SteelTitle: Steel
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Pages: 304
Published: March 15, 2011 by HarperTeen
ISBN: 9780061547911
Source: Around The World Tours
 








Description: When Jill finds a rusty sword tip on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued—and little expects it will transport her through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Will a dark enchantment, salty kisses, and a duel with an evil pirate captain leave her stranded in the eighteenth century forever?  


I Give This ...
   Photobucket

The idea behind this one was a new one to me, and I admit it intrigued me greatly.  I think with the latest Pirates of the Caribbean coming out in 2011, HarperTeen probably has a hit on their hands.
I thought Jill was a great character from the opening pages.  She's dedicated to her sport and shows real discipline in it.  I liked the fact that it was fencing because it was so appropriate to what happens to her.  I enjoyed her character even more when she's transported back to the 18th century.  She keeps her head on her shoulders, becomes part of the crew, and helps them overcome their own problems.  When she's transported back to her own time, she takes the lessons she has learned with her.

I also the pirate story.  A female pirate captain with a heart was a great thought.  But, the story has enough of an edge that you know this pirate ship is anything but typical.  I liked how Jill was able to learn about the bad along with the good.  Plus, it was great that the author included real pirates such as Blackbeard.  

The story seemed short, but well-rounded.  It had the feel of a dream were the character wakes up at just the right moment.  It was a fast read and I enjoyed it down to the last page!

2 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds like fun! Have you read Pirates by Celia Rees by any chance? I highly recommend it, if you liked the whole female pirate aspect of this. Oh, and Piratica by Tanith Lee, but that is more fantasy but still a fun and unique read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pirates sounds fantastic! I've seen a couple books by Celia Rees that I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails