Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Halo (Halo #1) by Alexandra Adornetto

Halo (Halo, #1)Title: Halo
Author: Alexcandra Adornetto
Series: 1st in planned series
Pages: 496
Published: August 2010 by Feiwel & Friends 
ISBN: 9780312656263
Source: ARC from Around the World Tours 
 






Description: Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings. But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he′s charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth. 

I Give This ...
 Photobucket
This is a hard review to write.  There are elements of this book I liked and some that I definitely didn't.  I think it's one of those that adults will cringe at but teenagers will love.

I liked the idea of angels living among us protecting us from the evil descending on the world.  It's got the makings of a showdown written all over it.  And it's not overly preaching, which any book about angels has the potential to be.  There is talk about higher powers and speaking with God, but it's not shoved down your throat.  And for the most part I liked Gabriel and Ivy.  They're ancient beings and know what it at stake.  The only thing that bothered me about this scenario was they seemed lost when it came to living among humans and how to act like one of us.  I would have thought if they wanted to make a difference they would have a better understanding of the people they are working with.

Bethany, I'm still not sure about.  I suspect there is a reason for sending her to earth when she's so young and naive.  Something only God (and the author) sees for the moment.   But, for an angel, she's really kind of silly.  She's way too trusting and there are way to many things she just doesn't understand (which goes back to the point of not understanding the human race to begin with).  I did like the idea that she identifies more with humans than with angels.  It makes her vulnerable. 

I liked Xavier for the most part.  He was mysterious and had a really sad past.  But he started to irritate me when he became overly protective towards Bethany.  He made sure she ate, carried her books for her, etc.  It was just too much.  She's an angel, however young and naive she may be.  And then it became even worse when the other powers move into town.  Which makes sense to a point when it's explained why he specifically wants Bethany.  But, it grated on my nerves.

Ultimately, the book was ok.  I will probably read the next in the series.  I want to see if Bethany has some sort of destiny that no one knows about yet.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about this book. I agree on Xavier been too overprotective and Bethany a bit too naive. I'll still give the sequel a read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails