Friday, September 10, 2010

Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate

Fallen (Fallen, #1)Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Series: 1st in Series 
Published: December 2009 by Delacorte Press
Pages: 452
ISBN:  9780385738934
Source: Purchased Copy







Description: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep
secret . . . even if it kills her. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket
 

I honestly haven't read many reviews for Fallen.  I loved the cover and the description, so never realized that it gets quite a few negative reviews.  I was glad for that, because I might have ended up disliking it a lot more than I did.  I'm intrigued by were the story is going, but it took a long time to get me there.

I don't think I got to know Luce very well, even though the book is from her point of view.  I feel like the events that lead up to her arriving at Sword & Cross are skimmed over.  I never fully understood them. Her whole background story is sort of vague.  It's like her whole life story begins the moment she sees Daniel.  Which is really annoying.  Daniel makes it so painstakingly obvious that he wants nothing to do with her.  Yet, she insists on following him around.  We have enough stories like that.     Plus, I don't understand what her role is in everything.  I'm sure the author reveals so little to get you to the next book, but I dislike being dangled along.

Oddly enough, I thought Daniel was fascinating.  I liked his background story.   He knows the stakes and is trying his best to play along.  He's also trying hard to protect Luce from what he feels is the inevitable.  I was really intrigued by the connection he has with Luce and what he does to avoid it.  And I love the sidekick characters.  For some reason, I found them all really amusing.  I had a feeling whose side everyone was one, but I liked how it unfolds.

So, I spent the first 200 pages reading about Luce chasing after a guy who ignores her.  And then last 250 pages  trying to figure out what is really going on.  I think I would like it better from Daniel's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails