Saturday, July 3, 2010

Captivate (Need, #2) by Carrie Jones

Captivate (Need, #2)Title: Captivate
Author: Carrie Jones
Series: Need #2
Published: January 2010 by Bloomsbury
Pages: 273
ISBN: 9781599903422
Source: Library





Description: Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.  A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his. 

 I Give This ...
Photobucket 

It's disappointing that covers as great as the ones in this series contain stories that are just mediocre.  While I feel this story is definitely better than the first, I just don't think it's enough to give it 4 butterflies.  I feel like the story is just dancing on the surface of what it could really be.  Zara just doesn't seem to take anything seriously enough until the end when the unthinkable happens.  The dialogue is a little bit better.  But, it's replaced with some over the top mushy scenes between Zara and Nick.  What keeps me reading is the interaction and plot with the pixies.  I think it should be more of the focus of the story.  I liked Astley.  He is the only character that seems to have any dimension to him.  His interactions with Zara were intense.  I hope the next books gets more into the root of the issues.  


2 comments:

  1. Great review Page!
    I haven't even read NEED yet (plan to though) but I've seen reviews for this series that have been all over the place. I liked how you listed what worked for you and what didn't. I love how organized your review was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently got the first book in this series, but I haven't read it yet. I'm not a huge YA fan, so I'm not sure how I will like it....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails