Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Ten Best Days of My Life by Adena Halpern

The Ten Best Days of My LifeTitle: The Ten Best Days of My Life
Author: Adena Halpern
Series: None
Published: May 2008
Publisher: Plume
Pages: 272
ISBN: 9780452289406
Source: Personal Copy




Description: In this hilarious and heartwarming first novel, twentynine- year-old Alexandra Dorenfield suddenly finds herself in heaven after an unfortunate encounter with a Mini Cooper. The seventh and highest level of heaven to be exact. Her dog Peaches is with her; she is reunited with her beloved grandparents; she has the wardrobe of a movie star; and she lives in the house of her dreams next door to a handsome guy. This is heaven!  But there's a catch. Alex must prove she led a fulfilling existence by writing an essay on the ten best days of her life or she will be demoted to a lower level of heaven, where the clothes are last year's styles, the men aren't quite as handsome, and worst of all, Peaches and her family won't be nearby. Witty and inspiring, this divine debut novel dares to ask a material girl and the rest of us what makes life precious.

I Give This Book 2.5 Stars!

I had a hard time with this book.  The narrative drove me crazy.  Alex is suppose to be 29, but she comes out sounding like she's 15.  And a very spoiled, annoying 15 at that.  I also don't think I connected with her because her idea of heaven was a closest full of designer clothes and the perfect guy next door, because in Seventh Heaven you get exactly what you dreamed of.  I did like the idea of earning her right to stay in Seventh Heaven, but not much of her story made me feel like she did deserve to be there.  I did enjoy her reflections of when she realized she couldn't rely on her daddy to bail her out of trouble anymore.  And I was impressed with her desire to move to the other side of the country to make something of herself.  Overall, it was really just the main characters voice that I couldn't handle.  Not sure if I will seek out something else by this author.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I'll be passing on this one. I can't stand spoiled and whiny people! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails