Friday, May 21, 2010

Faithful by Janet Fox


Faithful 
Title: Faithful
Author: Janet Fox
Published: May 13, 2010 by Speak
Pages: 319
ISBN:  9780142414132
Source: Around The World Tours





Description: Sixteen-year-old Maggie Bennet’s life is in tatters. Her mother has disappeared, and is presumed dead. The next thing she knows, her father has dragged Maggie away from their elegant Newport home, off on some mad excursion to Yellowstone in Montana. Torn from the only life she’s ever known, away from her friends, from society, and verging on no prospects, Maggie is furious and devastated by her father’s betrayal. But when she arrives, she finds herself drawn to the frustratingly stubborn, handsome Tom Rowland, the son of a park geologist, and to the wild romantic beauty of Yellowstone itself. And as Tom and the promise of freedom capture Maggie’s heart, Maggie is forced to choose between who she is and who she wants to be. 

I Give This...

Photobucket
 I live in Idaho and even though Yellowstone is not far, I've only actually been to the park once.  But, that once was enough to immediately draw me to this title.  I was also able to understand Maggie's draw towards the great outdoors and to the park itself.  I can't imagine what the Yellowstone must have been like in the early 1900's, especially when I know how wild parts of it still are.  I like Maggie.  She was struggling to maintain her proper decorum while wrestling with who she could see herself becoming.  There are a lot of truths that Maggie discovers along the way (about herself, her family, her mother, and even her status in society).  It's amazing that she absolutely didn't crack under all she learned.  I did find it a tad repetitive, but since I read an ARC it's possible the book underwent further editing before publication.  It was also very predictable for me.  I had almost everything pinned down before it happened (only one event truly surpised me).  I still really enjoyed the story though.  I was enchantment by location and circumstance.  I will be looking forward to the author's future works!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails