Saturday, May 29, 2010

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)Title: Drums of Autumn
Series: Outlander #4 
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Published: November 1997 by Seal Books
Pages: 1070
ISBN: 9780770427757
Source: Personal Copy 







Description: It began at an ancient Scottish stone circle. There, a doorway, open to a select few, leads into the past--or the grave. Dr. Claire Randall survived the extraordinary passage, not once but twice. Her first trip swept her into the arms of Jamie Fraser, an eighteenth-century Scot whose love for her became a legend--a tale of tragic passion that ended with her return to the present to bear his child. Her second journey, two decades later, brought them together again in the American colonies. But Claire had left someone behind in the twentieth century. Their daughter, Brianna...
Now Brianna has made a disturbing discovery that sends her to the circle of stones and terrifying leap into the unknown. In search of her mother and father she has never met, she is risking her own future to try to change history...and to save their lives. But as Brianna plunges into an uncharted wilderness, a heartbreaking encounter may strand her forever in the past...or root her in the place she should be, where her heart and soul belong...

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I was hoping the author could continue the magic that has surrounded this series since I began it.  While this is the first in the series that did not get a 5 rating from me, I still wasn't disappointed.  I've got a couple things I think make the story a little different that the first 3.  My first thing is that Jaime and Claire have almost settled down it seems.  Besides the Indians and living in the complete wild, there doesn't seem to be as much danger or intrigue as before.  It's not really a bad thing, it's just a change of pace that you aren't really ready for.  And funny, I never thought myself as the harlequin romance type, I kind of missed that all out passion that Jaime and Claire have.  It's kind of absent in this book (not so much the feeling but that act).  And last, I didn't like Brianna in the past.  She's a modern young women  who refuses to acknowledge that her ideals do not really have place in the 1700's.  Claire seemed to step right into that past and find her place.  I think Brianna will be ok, but only because she will be surrounded by those who know or come from the future as well.
Now, all that being said, I still really liked the book.  I love the history that is woven in.  I think it's admirable how Jamie and Claire carve a niche out for themselves in the colonies.  All this while trying to keep themselves in the background to avoid any political ties because they know they aren't far from the Revolution.  I liked the dealings with the Indians.  I learned a few things I didn't know and shed some light on things I really wouldn't have understood.  It still beautifully written even if it can seem a bit long.  I will be looking forward to the next in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails