Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tell Me A Secret by Holly Cupala

Tell Me A Secret

Title: Tell Me A Secret
Author: Holly Cupala
Published: June 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 304
ISBN: 9780061766664
Source: ARC from Around The World Tours
 
Description: Tell me a secret, and I'll tell you one…
In the five years since her bad-girl sister Xanda’s death, Miranda Mathison has wondered about the secret her sister took to the grave, and what really happened the night she died. Now, just as Miranda is on the cusp of her dreams—a best friend to unlock her sister’s world, a ticket to art school, and a boyfriend to fly her away from it all—Miranda has a secret all her own. Then two lines on a pregnancy test confirm her worst fears. Stripped of her former life, Miranda must make a choice with tremendous consequences and finally face her sister’s demons and her own. In this powerful debut novel, stunning new talent Holly Cupala illuminates the dark struggle of a girl who must let go of her past to find a way into her own future
.

I Give This Book 4.5 Stars!
 
I'm beginning to collect a list of must reads for teens and their parents.   I think this would be one of them.  While I do think its a fantastic read for teens, I think it's also a great example for parents.  Everything the parents did (well maybe up until the end) would be prime example of what not to do when you either lose a child or your teen comes to you with the news that they are pregnant.  The mother made me cringe every time she came up with a new idea.  It was amazing that Miranda had the strength to do what she did.  She had absolutely no support at home.  Even going as far to having to go to the doctor by herself.  Not that her home life was much better before she found out she was pregnant.  Her social life was also completely shattered by her so called friends.  It was amazing to watch her discover who she really was in this journey.  And in doing so, I think she came to terms with her sisters death.  In the end, I think she may have been able to help her family piece a little bit of their life back together.  The only part the bothered me a little was after the baby was born.  I found it hard to believe that the hospital would allow her to stay for 3 weeks and then basically live in the hospital for another 2 months or so without being noticed except by the occasional guard.
On a side note, the target audience won't get much out of the reference to the BabyCenter birth boards.  But, as an adult with 2 children, I spent lots of time on those very same birth boards.  I found it touching that the author was able to work that into the story.  I understand how important those online friendships can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails