Friday, March 5, 2010

Shudder by Jennie Hansen

Shudder


Title: Shudder
Author: Jennie Hansen
Published: 2009
Pages: 218
ISBN: 9781598117684
Source: Library


Description:  Darcy and Clare grew up as best friends, sharing trials and triumphs from preschool through college graduation. Now they’re sharing an apartment in Boise, Idaho, where Clare just landed a great job and Darcy is pursuing a teaching certificate. There’s only one problem: Blaine, Clare’s boyfriend. His chauvinistic, know-it-all ways set Darcy’s teeth on edge. Darcy vows not to let Blaine ruin her lifelong friendship with Clare, but when Blaine insists on moving in, Darcy suddenly finds herself alone. The estranged friends forge ahead on seemingly separate paths. Engaged to Blaine, Clare becomes trapped in ugly family politics and vicious treatment from her fiancĂ©. Darcy finds a temporary home with Karlene, an accident victim seeking live-in help, but a twisted plot soon threatens their safety. Clare’s wedding briefly reunites her with Darcy, yet the friends have never been farther apart. And when Clare finds herself in mortal peril and finally calls on Darcy to help, it might be too late.


I Give This Book 3 Stars!


It was the cover and title that first caught my eye.  Of course I picked it up to read the description on the back.  The second thing that jumped out at me was that the story takes place in Boise, Idaho.  I know most people would say who cares, but I'm from southern Idaho (about 2 hours from Boise), and this really got me.  I was happy to see it on the shelf at the library, so I picked it up.  Now comes the trouble of reviewing it.  I liked it, but I can guarantee that it is not for everybody.  The main problem I see is that it revolves greatly around the Mormon religion.  I can take it with a grain of salt, but I'm afraid that there will be many who can't read around it.  Plus, if you are not Mormon or familiar with the religion, I'm afraid it will come across as extreme.  Now, setting that aside, I liked the characters.  I think it gives a very good picture of abusive relationships.  You can't help but feel for Darcy as she watches what her friend goes through.  Add in the murder/mystery, and it was a lot of fun.  The book got better when it stepped away from why the girls can't live with a man, or issues with modest clothing, and all things that seem so clichĂ© to the mormon religion.  I understand that they need something to read too.  Something that fits in with those who have strong beliefs, and above all something clean.  That's what the author was aiming for here, and that's fine too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails