Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

The Three Musketeers (Modern Library Classics)


Title: The Three Musketeers
Author: Alexandre Dumas
Published: First published in 1844
Pages: 640
ISBN: 9780375756740
Source: Library Book


Description:  First published in 1844, Alexandre Dumas's swashbuckling epic chronicles the adventures of D'Artagnan , a gallant young nobleman who journeys to Paris in 1625 hoping to join the ranks of musketeers guarding Louis XIII. He soon finds himself fighting alongside three heroic comrades, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, who seek to uphold the honor of the king by foiling the wicked plots of Cardinal Richelieu and the beautiful spy "Milady."
As Clifton Fadiman reflected, "We read The Three Musketeers to experience a sense of romance and for the sheer excitement of the story. In these violent pages all is action, intrigue, suspense, surprise and an almost endless chain of duels, murders, love affairs, unmaskings, ambushes, hairbreadth escapes, wild rides. It is all impossible and it is all magnificent."


I Give This Book 3 Stars!


I've only seen the Disney version (the one with Kiefer Sutherland) of this book, so thought I might enjoy it for my classics challenge.  Boy, was I surprised.  It was not an easy read.  It's large and cumbersome.  I didn't have to force my way though it, just had to take my time.  I was most shocked by the differences.  I was under the impression that D'Artagnan was a follower and more of the type to get into trouble.  He's actually more of the leader in this book.  The musketeers aren't as valiant and courageous as I thought.  More along the lines of men who like their women and their wine, and prefer to haggle their way to getting them for free.   There wasn't as much suspense, intrigue, coercion, and backstabbing as I anticipated.  I was glad when I finished it, but happy I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails