Saturday, June 20, 2009

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult




I Give This Book 2.5 out of 5 Stars


 Description:  One moment June Nealon was happily looking forward to years full of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. Now her life is a waiting game. Waiting for time to heal her wounds, waiting for justice. In short, waiting for a miracle to happen.
For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens that changes everything for him. Now, he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's eleven-year-old daughter, Claire. But between Shay and Claire stretches an ocean of bitter regrets, past crimes, and the rage of a mother who has lost her child.
Would you give up your vengeance against someone you hate if it meant saving someone you love? Would you want your dreams to come true if it meant granting your enemy's dying wish?


I really wanted to like this book.  A friend recommended Jodi Picoult and said this book was her favorite.  The description sounded good and I thought it would be an easy read.   I was very disappointed.   Before to long I felt like I was reading a very bad version of Stephen King’s “The Green Mile” mixed with any one of John Grisham’s books.  I actually almost stopped reading.   It got better about half way through and I was able to finish the book.  Strangely when I felt the book got better is when the subject of religion actually came into play.  I’ve always been intrigued by the history of religion and the subject of the Gnostic books of the Bible.   I learned some things I didn’t already know and was pleased to read about a few things most people probably don’t realize.  I found most of the book predictable, but was slightly surprised in the end to discover Shay might have planned it all.  Made me wonder if there was any truth to his story about what really happened the night of the murders.  I didn’t like ending the book with doubts of one of the main characters true motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails