Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Title: The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Author: Carrie Ryan
Published: March 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 320
ISBN: 9780385736817

Description: In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

I Give This Book 3.5 Stars!

I have mixed feelings about this book.  I liked it enough to keep reading, and managed to finish the book in 4 hours.  When I think back, I think it was more because the story wasn't very complex.  I liked the story surrounding the zombies, but I felt like I never got enough information.  You get brief glimpses of how the Unconsecrated may have come about, but I wanted more.  I never fully understood what was being referred to when they kept talking about The Return.  And, I felt like I should fear The Sisterhood, but never understood why.  Mary in the end kind of annoyed me, and struck me as very selfish.  I think it was the zombies in the background that drove this story forward.  I wanted to know if they made it or became part of the Unconsecrated.  I will probably read the next one just to see if it gives more information

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...I've wanted to read this, but not enough to purchase it. I was hoping our library would get it in. You have me wondering if I'd like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. My thoughts exactly! I wanted to know more about the Sisterhood as well and honestly, I had no idea what was so special about them. Plus, I didn't like Mary. She kept going back and forth on her feelings between the two brothers and they were just so sudden that I was left confused as to what sort of character she was. She was too fickle for me, and yes selfish. Thanks for the review. Glad to know that someone out there also feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen mixed reviews for this one, might be a library borrow I think! Thanks for your honest review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting review. I wanted to know more about this one. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails